Friday, November 18, 2011

Dreaming About Laser Sailing

I have been searching for a while for a photo to illustrate what I was talking about a few days ago in my post about how to hold your hands when sailing a Laser upwind. The recommendation from my instructor in Menorca was to keep your hands in front of you, with the sheet hand high so that you can easily dump the sheet in a puff by straightening then arm while still holding the sheet.

My friend Antolin pointed out that this picture of my new granddaughter Isabel Grace (born on Wednesday) illustrates it perfectly. She is a natural! She must be dreaming about Laser sailing!

If the Laser Class doesn't self destruct in the next 20 years I see a bright future for her on the Laser Radial scene.

3 comments:

Baydog said...

I may be putting 49264 on the market. Since we know each other, I'm willing to let it go for a cool 2 grand. Skip personally sold me that boat and installed the jamcleats minutes before the bay race that Saturday morning in Toms River. It's in good shape and Gracey will be ready to sail it in about 13 years. Just make sure you keep it in the garage where it's dry and the spars in the living room so as not to accelerate the corrosion process, as you are all too familiar with that. The sails will be moth-eaten by then, so start saving your money.

betty said...

Precious, precious, precious. She really does seem to have the proper form, not to be confused with the proper course, although I'm sure she'll have that, too.

FYI: In case you didn't see it, there is/was a photo of Sunday's Laser fleet in today's Newport Daily News (today being 11/22). It ran in B&W but looks like it might be quite nice in color. I can't figure out how to send a proof other than by sending the whole order page, nor can I figure out how to create a simple link in this space, so here it is in long form (hope it works):

http://www.instantimagegallery.com/iig/p/19/7633526?state:cat/Album=BrO0ABXcgAAAAAgEAByRCb3JkZXIAEG9yaWdpbmFsQ2xpZW50SWRzcgARamF2YS5sYW5nLkludGVnZXIS4qCk94GHOAIAAUkABXZhbHVleHIAEGphdmEubGFuZy5OdW1iZXKGrJUdC5TgiwIAAHhwAAAAE3cKAAAHYWxidW1JZHNxAH4AAAAD7Rk%3D

Strangely, I ran into Dave Hansen (the photographer) this morning. We were both grabbing coffee. Very important. Though not nearly as important as beautiful baby grandchildren ...

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

I'm picturing Isabel Grace in a helmet. Still trying to get that picture in focus.....

Post a Comment