Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Knitting Sailor

It's always good to come across a new sailing blogger. Especially when it's someone with an exaggerated sense of their own incompetence who writes about their sailing exploits with a sense of humor.

My latest find is The Knitting Sailor which has to win the prize for the most original name for a sailing blog. As far as I can tell the blog is written by a lady who lives in the north-east of England and who writes about... well knitting and sailing.

You don't have to read the knitting posts... unless you are into knitting too. But her sailing posts are priceless. I think my favorite one so far (it's a relatively new blog) is IN WHICH I AM VERY NEARLY SWEPT AWAY in which our heroine attends a very serious-sounding Instructors Conference - "it may horrify you to find out I am actually an assistant instructor."

The highlight of the day was some sessions on the water which the knitting sailor approached with enthusiasm even though she says, "I have never sailed on the sea, believing it to be a big scary wobbly thing." (She is right. It is.)

It was blowing Force 5-6 and most of the very serious Instructor people chose not to go sailing, but our intrepid knitting sailor and a couple of others went out in Toppers. Needless to say things did not go well, leading to a capsize from which she could not recover. And then things got worse. Eventually she, with four other people, ended up on a patrol boat on which the motor would not start, as it was being swept out to sea.

I think her satellite picture says it all...


I am looking forward to reading more sailing adventures from The Knitting Sailor. Check her out.

11 comments:

Chris Partridge said...

I did indeed check her out and laughed my socks off. Did you notice she writes in a Geordie accent? Try reading it out loud...

Baydog said...

Chris, you must teach me how to write in an accent. Until then, I'm going to Youtube.

O Docker said...

Chris, if you laughed your socks off, this sounds like one of the few sailing blogs that can help.

Tillerman said...

I know what you mean Chris. I was imagining her talking with a Geordie accent as I read.

George A said...

Actually I find myself skimming over the sailing bits to get to the next knitting sequel. Will she ever finish that cardigan or is it truly a black hole for balls of wool? Gripping stuff!

Tillerman said...

I thought O Docker, especially, might appreciate her post WORKING PARTY. THERE WASN’T WINE. I sense that he and she are fellow spirits.

O Docker said...

I have long believed that many sailing blogs would be improved with more knitting content.

Tillerman said...

Be careful what you wish for....

Center of Effort said...

She's precious. Thanks for the tip.

George A said...

What? No "plummy" BBC writing voice, then?

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for visiting - I feel I now have a high standard to live up too! Look forward to seeing you - yes, I am a Geordie - and I didn't realise I wrote like that - hope it doesn't make me to incomprehensible.

(and in exciting breaking news - I have just started the bottom edging on the cardie....!)

Post a Comment